macProVideo.com
Forums
  • gadgets
    iMovie filing Events & Projects
    I have hours of 8mm film digitized, miniDV footage and .mov footage to edit. To keep my iMac fit & trim can I use another HD to store my Events and Projects and if so do I also store QuickTime versions there too? How do I set it up so that this system works. What are the Pros & Cons and is there a better way - like - can I download a DVD edit back as an Event?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: iMovie filing Events & Projects
    Hi gadgets, With the latest versions of iMovie you can store the imported footage onto an external drive. Where you place the original clips is up to you. In the Capture window under the "Save To:" drop down menu you can choose the drive to save the imported clips to. Storing footage on an external is a great idea to keep space free on the internal drive... also if you're using a firewire 7200rpm external drive then you shouldn't notice any negatives. Of course the negatives are if you lose/don't have access to your external drive! What do you mean "can I download a DVD edit back as an Event"?? When you create a video DVD, the format of the video is compressed and encoded to DVD-Video spec so it can be played back on any stand alone DVD player. ... or do you mean you have the quicktime movie files stored on a Data DVD? If so - then NO! DVD's have horrendously slow read times compared to an external hard drive. There are plenty of other issues with using a DVD as the main storage - sure backup the files there - but don't try running them directly from the DVD. Hope this helps Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: