macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Johan L
    Video looks perfect in imove, shaky and jumpy after export
    Hello! I'm brand new to video editing... and I have a strange problem with my very first video. The video looks perfect in imovie but when I export it either with Export movie... or Export movie with QuickTime... it results in a shaky, jumpy video. See an example here: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRLCVVWeuYA[/url] I've tried all different kinds of settings as suggested in [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/video/imovie-idvd&id=13011&sid=0[/url] (Rough motion when exporting to quicktime). I've filmed with a SAMSUNG HMX-Q10 which (I think) has some kind of automatic built in anti shake function. I've tried to import both with and without "analyze for stabilization". I'm on Imovie '09 8.0.6 (swedish edition) Any help would be greatly appreciated! /Johan
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Video looks perfect in imove, shaky and jumpy after export
    Hi Johan L, Welcome to the forums. Well, that video is crazy shaky! When you choose "Export Movie" in iMovie which settings are you choosing? What are the settings of your project in iMovie? Thanks Rounik
  • Johan L
    Hello! Here are some images of my settings (time to learn swedish): [img]http://jlkonsultab.se/files/image-286.png[/img] [img]http://jlkonsultab.se/files/image-288.png[/img] [img]http://jlkonsultab.se/files/image-289.png[/img] [img]http://jlkonsultab.se/files/image-290.png[/img] I've tried a number of settings, all with the same result. For example H.264, MPEG-4, no compression, quality medium/high/best etc. Different sizes. I think it's the anti shake data from the camera that messes upp things. Strange though that the video looks ok in imovie... Unless I "analyze movie for stabilization" then the clip starts shaking inside imovie too (timeline only [lower view], not clip preview [upper view]). This is really weird... /johan
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Johan, That's odd. So what format settings is your SAMSUNG HMX-Q10 recording to? What about the "frame rate" when you export from iMovie? Is it set to at least 25? Have you experimented with different frame rate settings and quality? Also, do you have the latest updates for your version of iMovie (via Software Update from the Apple Menu)? Thanks!
  • Johan L
    The camera only has a resolution setting which is set to "Full HD 1080/60i: Records in the Full HD (1920x1080/60i) format" It also has some settings for white balance and exposure. These are all set to "auto". That's it. This is taken from the manual 1. This camcorder records video in H.264 (MPEG4/AVC) format. 2. You can play back and edit the video recorded by the camcorder on a personal computer using the internal software of this camcorder. 3. Please note that this camcorder is not compatible with other digital video formats. Do #2 and #3 mean that I can't use iMovie? I've tested with frame rate set to 50 with the same result. My iMovie is up to date, though it's iMovie '09. Maybe I should upgrade to iLife '11? /johan
  • Johan L
    Now I've upgraded to iLife '11. iMovie produces the same result as before (I reimported the clips with the new version before trying again...) I really don't know what to do next? Any ideas? Buy a PC or a new camera? /Johan
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Johan, I'm sorry to hear this... I've tried iMovie 06 to iMovie 11 with different camcorders and never come across this issue. It sounds like it must be an issue with a setting on the camcorder itself... Have you double-checked all the record and playback settings on the camera? Thanks Rounik
  • Johan L
    Hello again! Problem almost solved! It turns out that importing via Import from camera... doesn't work, but if you import via Import > Movies... and browse the camera files from the file system then everything works fine (the camera shows up as an external disk when plugged in). Thanks for your time and efforts! :-) BTW: Samsung gave no help at all! "Try another software, we don't support iMovie". /johan
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Johan! This is great news!! Of course, I should've asked you in the beginning how you were importing the clips from the camera(!) Really glad you discovered the solution & thanks for posting back here! Happy Editing :) Rounik
  • PhilW
    Hello, I have the same problem with Samsung HMX S10. Shaky video. I tried Import>Movies (from external backup). Doesn't work. Until this day, the video was only shaky after export and not in iMovie. Now its shaky in iMovie preview ! I'm going mad !!!! Thx for help
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: