macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Hamish H
    .mpeg files?
    Hey iMovie forum, hows it going? I'm starting out on imovie 08 so hopefully people still use that and can help me! I have downloaded some movies from the Prelinger Archives, which is supposed to be in mpeg2 format. But imovie won't let me import any of the footage. Looking a bit closer each of the downloads has a .mpeg file type - is this why they won't work? as i said they're supposed to be mpeg2 so its a bot confusing. And why wouldn't imovie be able to use .mpeg? Thanks very much for your help! Hamish
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: .mpeg files?
    Hi Hamish, Excuse the late reply. I've successfully used mpegs from Prelinger in iMovie in the past. Which files are these exactly? How are you trying to import them into iMovie? :)
  • Hamish H
    Hey Rounik! Here's one of them: [url]http://www.archive.org/details/LeaveItt1940[/url] I've chosen the MPEG 2 version. When its downloaded the file extension is .mpeg, preview calls it an 'mpeg movie' Doesn't play in Quicktime, but I've never really used quicktime so don't undertsand it too well... In imovie I've chosen [b]File > Import > Movies[/b] None of the prelinger movies show up as options. Any ideas? Its a new kettle of fish for me, but I'm gonna love it once I can get going! Thanks boss! Hamish
  • Hamish H
    Hi again I've just checked out Quicktime - I have Quicktime Player 10.0. It can't play MPEG2, but according to Apple I can buy the Mpeg2 component for $20. [url]http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3526[/url] Yesterday I used Quicktime to convert a .3gp movie (from my phone) to a .m4v, just by saving it with [b]File > Save As > Movie[/b] (in Quicktime). Imovie couldn't import the .3gp, but the .m4v worked perfectly. Do you think that if I bought the Mpeg2 component this would solve the Prelinger problem? Is there a substantial difference in quality between Mpeg2 and .m4v? :)
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Hamish, I just downloaded and imported that particular clip into iMovie '11 fine. I think it'd be the same for iMovie '08 and '09 too. As you're a Logic Studio owner you actually have access to Quicktime Pro which contains a lot of extra codecs... and I believe included support for MPEG-2. Check out this article on how to install Quicktime Pro on Snow Leopard systems: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/mac-osx/installing-quicktime-pro-7-mac-osx-snow-leopard[/url] Hopefully, this should help but I'd also recommend downloading Perian (free) which adds support for other formats natively to Quicktime. [url]http://perian.org/#download[/url] Let me know how you get on. Rounik
  • Hamish H
    Thnaks very much Rounik! I will download Quicktime Pro tonight. As for the .mpeg files, imovie 08 just refuses to see them! I don't know why. I might upgrade to imovie 11 soon if that'll fix it. In the meantime I downloaded a converter called FLCrunch - it is awesome. I converted the prelinger files into mpeg 4s, imovie 08 imports them just fine. so I have a workaround for now unitl I upgrade. Thnaks very much for your help, as an aside I should have another early Christmas present for you in the next few weeks... keep you posted Cheers Hamish
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Hamish, Glad you've got a workaround at least... :) Early Christmas present? I like the sound of that!! Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: