macProVideo.com
Forums
  • bwand
    Video editing
    How do I delete part of the video in a clip and keep the audio in IMovie 11
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Video editing
    Hi bwand, Welcome to the MPV forums! Once you have placed a clip or section of a clip in the Project right-click on the clip and choose "detach Audio". Hope that helps Rounik
  • bwand
    I detached the audio, then deleted the part of the clip I don't want and the audio is now out of sync with the video.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi bwand, Do you have any other clips in the Projects? So, what part of the clip are you deleting? Some part in the middle? If so, then because of the magnetic timeline feature in iMovie 11, the clips will slide so the audio will then be out of sync with the video. Question: What do want to achieve exactly? e.g. remove 5.0 seconds of video and replace it with 5.0 seconds of video from another clip or with a title? Thanks Rounik
  • bwand
    I want to replace video with a title which I created with live type, using the remaining audio as a background for the title keeping the rest of the video in sync.
  • Rounik Admin
    FCP X makes this an easier process... and it's much easier in iMovie if you want to replace a section of video with another video clip... OK. So, have you rendered the Livetype file to a quicktime movie file? If so, then simply import the file into an Event and then drag the Livetype on top of the part you wish to replace in the project. Choose "Replace" from the resulting menu. All done. You can use the Precision editor to fine tune the cuts. If you decide to use titles created in iMovie 11, here's what I'd suggest: 1. Right-click on the clip in the project and choose "Detach Audio". 2. In your project drag a selection area for the part you want to eventually replace. Make a mental note of the length of the clip in seconds. 3. Choose Clip > Split Clip (Shift-Command-S) 4. From the Titles tab choose your desired title and drag it into an empty space in the project. You'll be asked to choose a background. 5. Adjust the length of the title to match the clip to be replaced by resizing the clip from the right-edge and then choose Clip > Trim to Selection (Command-B) 6. Once done you can delete the video to be replaced and drag the title in between the two adjoining clips. Everything should be in sync now. Hope this helps Rounik
  • bwand
    Thanks, You Have been a lot of help. The reason I was using IMovie 11 because I had read reviews the the new Final Cut Pro x was very Similar and I wanted to get some experience before buying Pro X. I have been using Final Cut Express and Final Cut Studio for the past six years.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey bwand, No problem. FCP X certainly has a whole host of features you won't find in iMovie '11. Check out this free 45 minute tutorial: An Overview of FCP X (by Michael Wohl who helped create the original FCP): [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/finalcutprox101-overview-and-quick-start-guide[/url] In fact, I'd highly recommend checking out the entire series of FCP X tutorials... e.g. the Editing & Advanced Editing Techniques modules too. Hope that helps R
  • Rounik Admin
    Oh, you might be interested in these articles on The MPV Hub: An interview with Michael on FCP X: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/interview/exclusive-interview-michael-wohl-one-of-fcps-original-designers-speaks-about-final-cut-pro-x[/url] and his demo of some excellent FCP features at the LAFCPUG: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/final-cut/michael-wohl-demos-hidden-fcp-x-editing-tricks-at-la-final-cut-pro-users-group-meeting[/url] :)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: