macProVideo.com
Forums
  • boomerst13
    converting an iMovie in other file formats
    The iMovie file format .mov can't be read by some TV's. I'm trying to create an iMovie on a thumb drive that can be inserted into a TV to play. I've read on this forum that I should use .m4v or mp4 file formats. How can I convert my iMovie from .mov to one of these other file formats?
  • BenB
    Re: converting an iMovie in other file formats
    .mov is actually a QuickTime file format. iMovie is just an app that works with QT files. What exactly is the devie playing this on the TV screen? A computer, a DVD player, a Blu-Ray player?
  • boomerst13
    By "devie" I assume you mean "device"? The device I'm wanting to use is a USB thumb drive containing an iMovie (no music, only photos). I am trying to have the iMovie play on the TV screen without having to use any other playback device(E.g. blueray player, computer ...) Since my original post I've learned that if I export the iMovie as a Quicktime movie onto the desktop, then drop it onto a thumb drive, the movie will play on the TV screen, even though the message "file type not supported" comes up briefly on the screen. It appears that my problem is solved. Thank you for responding.
  • BenB
    I still don't understand how a USB thumb drive by itself plays video on a TV set. You have to be plugging that into some intermediary device. Yes, you need a Quicktime file. Preferably an H.264 codec QT file. If I knew exactly what device you were using to plug the USB drive in to (TV sets don't have USB ports), I could let you know how to get the best image quality, too.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: