macProVideo.com
Forums
  • cpilgrim
    Exporting with iMovie '11 makes it pixelated
    Hi Everyone! I am new to iMovie. I had to make a video for a technical writing class on how to set up a green screen. Well I figured out how to do the image overlay and edited our video and it looks great in iMovie. We used a Sony HDR camera. I set it to 24fps when I created our video because the image overlay wouldn't work with 25 or 30. (I really hope that's not the problem cause I don't have time to re-do my movie). So the problem is that when I try to export the movie into any file format it becomes pixelated when people move or at random times. I"m not sure why!? I have tried exporting it as different formats and still no luck. Even my professor doesn't know how to fix it, but he wants it to be perfect. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks so much!
  • BenB
    Re: Exporting with iMovie '11 makes it pixelated
    What frame rate was the original video shot in? Make sure your iMovie project is the same frame rate. How exactly are you exporting it? Specifically what Sony cam are you using? I assume you meant HDV, not HDR.
  • cpilgrim
    It was in 24 fps I'm pretty sure. The thing is it wouldn't let me overlay an image in anything but 24 but I'm 98% sure it was 24 fps. The camera is a Sony HDR-CX700V handycam. I've tried exporting to movie in 1080p, exporting with QuickTime using .mov, .mp4 (which is what my professor told me would work at the beginning), I've tried .avi with best quality and with the NTSC setting on .avi. All of it gives the same result. .avi helps a little bit, but not enough. He suggested exporting as a .flv but that's not an option.
  • BenB
    Specifically what "overlay" are you using? H.264 QuickTime will be your best quality output. How long is the video you are Exporting? .AVI is the worst codec you could use, and FLV is on it's way out and is not best video quality, either. So what is the duration of the video you are Exporting, and on what Mac are you using this on?
  • cpilgrim
    I used the green screen overlay. That's what our video is about, how to set up the green screen. I tried using the H.264 QuickTIme. It's almost 7 minutes long. I have a 2011 Mac with Snow Leopard and iMovie 11.
  • BenB
    I'm not sure what's going on. I'd say it sounds like you have interlace artifacts, or are scaling SD to HD, but I'm not sure. Would love to see an example.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: