macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Wahasai
    DVD created using iDVD will not run on a PC
    I have edited a video, shot in HD with FC Pro x but had to use iMovie to get chapters, after burning DVD on iDVD the DVD will run on my Mac, Sony DVD player, and my Blue Ray player, but will not run on a PC running Windows. The video file is around 1 hour 20 minutes long. I have tried using duel layer DVDs but this makes no difference. Any ideas please.
  • BenB
    Re: Re: DVD created using iDVD will not run on a PC
    Dual Layer DVD's introduce more things that can go wrong. Never use it unless you have something longer than 2 hours. "One-off" DVD burns, the ones we do in our computers and other consumer DVD burners, are never 100% compatible with everything. The plastic is soft and very fallible so that low heat lasers can etch into it. When you send a DVD to be "replicated" or you buy a Hollywood production (which is also "replicated), it is made from a "glass master". They take the "data" (not an actual DVD) and form it into a mold, into which very hard, non-burnable, super durable plastic compounds are injected in to. Thus, when we create one-off burns ourselves compatibility becomes a major, unavoidable issue. There will be some DVD player somewhere that just won't like your one-off burn. Software DVD players in computers are the absolute worst offenders, too. It has nothing to do with the application creating and burning the DVD, don't let anyone fool you about that. I'll give you some guidelines. Here's some things to try: - Burn at slow speeds, not high speeds. Fast burns like 8x and higher are more prone to mistakes. DVD players have error correction built in, but there can be burn glitches they can't decipher. - Use known quality brand blank DVD media. Be sure you're using something like Taiyo Yuden or RiTek. I've never had issues with those two brands. Stay away from Maxell, Verbatium is debatable. You can find good deals at www.supermediastore.com - Compress your MPEG-3 video file and AC3 audio file with Compressor. You are able to control data rates and such there. If you want to compress your own and get the best quality possible, there are two great resources. The first is www.thedigitalguy.com run by Bruce Nazarian, who is a good friend and the most knowlegable person about optical media in the world. Also a book called "Apple Pro Training Series: Compressor 3.5". That book is valid for the current Compressor 4 and has everything you need to know about Compressor in it.
  • Wahasai
    Re: DVD created using iDVD will not run on a PC
    Thank you Ben. I understand what you are saying, but the more interesting thing is the project is a 2.5 hour performance over 2 DVDs. Part 1 DVD will play on PCs with no problems, Part 2 which as been produced in the same manor will not run on a PC (I have tried a number), but will run on DVD players.
  • BenB
    Re: Re: DVD created using iDVD will not run on a PC
    Again, what speed is that second disk burning at? Are you putting labels on them? One-off DVD's are not that reliable. Better than years ago when it was a new technology, but it's not 100%. So something is different between the two burns. How are you dividing these up? How are you encoding each? We just have to pinpoint what's happening differently between the two discs.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: