macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Wipavue
    Is iDVD no longer a part of the iLife Suite?
    Hi there, Don't know if this question has been asked/answered before, but it looks like I will have to get a new 'puter with Lion. Reading a review of my intended purchase (2011 Mac Mini Server) I noted that iDVD was excluded. When I looked at the contents of iLife, I didn't see iDVD. Is this so, and how do I burn DVDs for friends, etc? Thanks, Glenn PS, yes, I am also getting an external Superdrive.
  • Wipavue
    Re: Is iDVD no longer a part of the iLife Suite?
    Ok, upon further research, I see that, no, iDVD is not included. So, how do I burn video DVDs? Can I install the version from my Leopard system disks, iMove 09? WTF was Apple thinking??????
  • BenB
    Re: Is iDVD no longer a part of the iLife Suite?
    iDVD has indeed been dropped. Apple is moving away from DVD creation, since online distribution is growing by leaps and bounds, like it or not. But if you have an old copy, it will still run, you can still use it. Alternatives are Compressor/FCP X which have very, very basic authoring/burning abilities. The next step up would be Toast 11 Pro. After that you'd have to spend the big bucks on Adobe Encore. But if you have a copy on your Leopard installer disk, that will still run just fine.
  • Wipavue
    Re: Re: Is iDVD no longer a part of the iLife Suite?
    Thanks for your reply, Ben. I am not certain, then, how to proceed. I've read that the 2011 mini-server isn't backward compatible with Leopard/Snow Leopard, so how do I get it into the new computer if I receive a message saying 'can't install this OS on this computer?' I will be migrating a lot of stuff via firewire. Can you tell me what, besides the application itself, do I need to move onto the new 'puter? Stuff in Library, App Support, things like that? And, it will work with the iLife '11 apps? Digital distribution is growing by leaps and bounds because it is being shoved down our throats, or at least that's how it seems to me. I don't think I've shaken my head this hard at an Apple decision since the first iMacs came out without floppy drives. If I hadn't had a CD-RW burner for my Roland VS, with Toast, I'd never have been able to move stuff off of my old Quadra onto my first iMac. Anyways, thanks again. Glenn
  • BenB
    All you need is iDVD, not the whole OS. I have students running iDVD in Lion right now. If you have the original installation disk, I think you can simply install iLife by itself. If you're getting a new Mac, you can use a backup of your old Mac's OS drive, or the Mac itself in Firewire Target mode, and it will bring all app, including iDVD to your new machine. Migration Assistant does a very good job at keeping your personal data and apps on your new Mac. Digital distribution is a fact of life in the music and movie industries, Apple did not invent it, nor is Apple shoving anything down our throats. You can still get Toast 11 to do DVDs on, as well as other products. But consumers are driving the digital distribution market. When Apple released Mac's with no floppy drive, they didn't change the industry, they simply were the first to acknowledge where the industry was already heading. Floppy disks at that time were already on the way out. And thank goodness they were. Install the iLife apps on your Lion system, they will run.
  • Wipavue
    Well, thanks for the response. I think most people, if asked, would prefer to have an actual hard copy of software they're buying. I know I do. I still watch DVDs (and, now, BDs) on a television, and I still buy CDs, and listen to them on a hi-fi stereo. I make DVDs of things going on in my life for people who are not umbilically tied to the internet, so the loss of iDVD makes no sense to me. That is another discussion, though. :-) Cheers, and again, thanks, Glenn
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: