macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Spaetzu
    Why does idvd compress so much?
    Hi everyone, after trying for over a week now, I kinda gave up and hope I can find some help here. I made a slideshow in imovie, perfect quality, fun to do, no probs. Getting it on a DVD though is no fun. I've been playing around with all kinds of compressions and different file sizes. As soon as I put the movie into idvd and check the procect properties, the file size is ALWAYS considerably smaller than what I started with originally. Playback on my TV is awful. It's no fun at all to look at the slideshow. Quality is so crappy. The pics I use add up to about 530 MB, so size really shouldn't be a problem when getting it onto DVD. Add some menus from imovie etc., but still it shouldn't be an issue. So why does idvd compress at all? Is there any way I can change that? All I want is the same great quality I see when playing the slideshow in imovie. Thanks for your help and have a great day! Spaetzu
  • BenB
    Re: Re: Why does idvd compress so much?
    How many photos, and how long is the iMovie project? 530 MB per photo does seem rather large, in fact. What format are the photos (RAW, PNG, TIFF) and what pixel dimensions are they to start with?
  • Spaetzu
    Re: Why does idvd compress so much?
    Hi BenB! thanks for your reply. I used 141 photos, which add up to 530 MB (not per photo!). the movie is 11min long. the pics are jpgs and i downloaded them straight onto my computer from my DSLR, gotta check for pixel dimensions. This afternoon I tried again to convert the imovie to quicktime, this time using no compression. It blew the whole thing up to 75 GB, that file doesn't really play back and how on earth can it get sooo big? Any idea how to get an acceptable quality? Thanks so much for your help. Spaetzu
  • BenB
    Re: Re: Re: Why does idvd compress so much?
    You can't export from iMovie with "no" compression. What specific presets are you choosing for export? What is the frame size of the photos? How many pixels by how many pixels?
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: