macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Cehaduo
    iMovie and Share to iDVD
    Hi everyone, I've finished all my movie in iMovie and now I'm using iDVD to burn the DVD. Instead of sharing to the Media Browser, I used Share to iDVD. But now I'm wondering, is this option automatically going to give me the highest quality or should I go back and send to Media Browser using the 720p option? (It also gives me the 1080p option, but my original footage was not 1080p... should I choose this option?) I recorded this particular wedding with a Sony HDRCX210/B using the highest quality settings. Any tips on iMovie settings or Export settings to get the highest quality in iDVD would be appreciated. Thanks so much!
  • BenB
    Re: iMovie and Share to iDVD
    I'd use Share to iDVD. You'll get the same quality either way and you'll save yourself a step.
  • Cehaduo
    So Share to iDVD sends the highest quality possible? And everyone tells me that iDVD compresses the video a lot, making it more "pixelated". I noticed that iDVD automatically selects "Best Performance" encoding. If I change it to "Professional (highest quality)" will that make my end result look better? Thanks!
  • BenB
    Re: Re: iMovie and Share to iDVD
    Of course changing the preset export from better performance to better quality will give you "better" quality, but not the best. Sending it to the media browser doesn't effect quality of the encode. Exactly what steps are you taking now? If you want the "best quality possible", you'd need to encode the files manually in Compressor. I'm not sure if iDVD will read those files. But if you want "best quality possible" you won't use iDVD or iMovie at all. You'll use FCP X, Compressor, and author the DVD with Toast 11 Pro or Adobe Encore.
  • Cehaduo
    Sounds good. I do have FCPX and Compressor and I like FCPX so far, but for certain purposes I was continuing to work iMovie to further "master it". Thanks for the advice, I'll move the project to FCPX and look into Toast 11.
  • BenB
    I would strongly encourage you to do the FCP X tutorials here and move totally off of iMovie. Work smarter, work faster, have more options available to you. And don't forget all the groovy free tutorials on the HUB. Here's a link to my own there. [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/author/Ben-Balser[/url] And there's so much more. I love the HUB.
  • Xidiniu
    Going off of imovie would be a positive step
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: