macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Stringman66
    HD camcorder into iMovie
    I'm new to the HD camcorder world. I got a good deal today on a JVC GZ-E10 and was told it was mac compatible. I'm able to record video on the SD card and upload to imovie 09 no problem. My question is: Is there a way to record directly from my camera into iMovie onto my hard drive without the SD card? I bought the HD camera to get a better picture over the iSight camera and in order to shoot several hours of high quality video I will need a 32 GB SDHC card or higher. With my old Canon mini DV camcorder via firewire into my Dell I was able to record directly onto my computer's hard drive so I find it frustrating that I cannot do this with my new setup. Or can I? I'm shooting music instructional videos sitting in front of my laptop. If there is a HD camcorder that can do exactly what I need I will return this one. Any help appreciated, thanks.
  • BenB
    Re: HD camcorder into iMovie
    I looked up that camera, and yours doesn't have Firewire, as far as I am able to discern. Y 'd need one with a Firewire connector. Apple's video software is pretty Firewire specific. If you have Firwire output from your camera, and it's a broadcast standard based signal, iMovie should see it.
  • Stringman66
    I was wondering about firewire vs. USB so thank you for your reply. I'm still not clear on what would be a broadcast standard based signal even after googling it, but I assume mpeg2 which this camera has, is not that. It seems like Canon and I believe Panasonic may be more geared toward macs.
  • BenB
    USB is simply not fast enough. You need to look at NTSC-DV, DVCPRO, DVCPRO-HD and ProRes would be standard codecs to look at.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: