macProVideo.com
Forums
  • mikebatho
    iMovie small project help needed
    Anyone out there a bit tasty on iMovie? I have a small project do complete fairly quickly. I've had to record a little promo video. It's under 4 mins, and just features me sitting at a table talking about a project I'm involved with. I need to make it look a bit smarter. I'm pretty uncomfortable in front of the camera, and there are a few awkward pauses, where I'm thinking I could maybe do a cut to a still or something? I'd also like to add an opening still shot and one at the end, just something put together in illustrator/photoshop giving the thing a title, then a thank you & web address at the end. Is that complicated? Also, I guess it would have to be a certain size & resolution? I'm going to start looking for answers myself, but I need to get this done in the next few hours, and thought I'd post it here as I've found forum members very helpful in the past. Thanks.
  • BenB
    Re: iMovie small project help needed
    First, I use Pixelmator instead of Photoshop. Cheaper, easier to learn/use, gaining popularity very fast. Start a new project, make it the same frame size as your video, put your photo in it, add text, export as PNG, done. Take that in to your iMovie project, shouldn't be any problems. The thing that concerns me here is your interview. If you can't speak confidently about a project you are involved in, then how much confidence do you really have in it? You MUST be proud of your work in front of a camera, or your lack of such will show through a great deal. Second, if you have pauses, that is OK, but, you'll end up with "jump cuts". These are edits between shots where it is obviously done in one take on one camera, but the visuals "jump" unnaturally. This will totally destroy any flow the edit has. We normally fix this with cut-away shots. Find video or still parts of your project that have to so with what you're specifically referring to in the interview at that time. Place those above the interview track, so the audience doesn't see the "jump". OR you could simply use a cross fade, or dip to black transition between these cuts, if the subject matter is changing enough to justify it. I'd also recommend FCP X for editing at this level, too. Then you wouldn't need photoshop or pixelmator or anything else for your opening and closing segment. You could do it all inside FCP X. Cut-away would also be much easier to deal with.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: