macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Lamby
    Motion 5
    I have iMac 27 with i7 Core and 16 Gb ram ....what else I need to run properly Motion 5 which is running very good in my old iMac with only 8 Gb ram ? I'm quiet sure the problem is Lion because on the old iMac I have Leopard .... please help help help Lamberto Villani
  • BenB
    Re: Motion 5
    FCP X and Motion actually should be running just fine on Lion. Aside from RAM, also be sure you have a beefy graphics chip in your iMac. Running with your media on an external drive will also slow things down. Be sure your external drive is FW800, 7200rpm minimum, or Thunderbolt RAID. Also the type of media you're using can effect performance.
  • Lamby
    My graphics is AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048MB .... there is something better from Apple ? `my external drive is WD FW 800 at 7200rpm .... what more ? It's really slow ... instead my old iMac with 8 Gb ram with graphics ATI Radeon HD 4670 and 256 MB is running very well and when I share with the new one is a disaster .... with the old is sharing very well .... pls help otherwise I will go back to Leopard. Thanks a lot for your reply Lamberto Villani
  • BenB
    I've not seen Motion run slower in Lion on any of the systems I've worked with. Do you have any third party plugins? Are you doing the exact same project? Not sure what you mean by the old one is sharing very well. Sharing what?
  • Lamby
    I have two iMac, one just arrived i7core etc with Lion (which I call NEW) the second one is iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo etc with Leopard (which I call OLD) ... when I said sharing I mean when you go to Share menu and you choose in which format you want to share ... like Media Browser, Apple Devices, DVD and so on. Can you tell me how can I check if I have third party plugins ? Thank you for your help. Best regards Lamberto Villani
  • BenB
    So the newer iMac is slower when you export? Third party plugins have to be installed by you. So if you've not done that, you don't have any.
  • Lamby
    Yes .... the newer iMac is terribly slower not only to export but anything you do .... and when I work more than 5 minutes it get worse and worse ....
  • BenB
    Make sure to go to the Apple menu and run Software Update and the App Store to be sure you have all of the most current updates to everything. Lion should be 10.7.3, Motion should be 5.0.3. Make sure all hard drives have at least 15% of their total capacity as free space. I'm assuming you don't have a second monitor connected, also. TimeMachine should be turned OFF. As should all virus software, be sure it's all turned off.
  • Lamby
    I uptated both the iMac .... 1.80 GB .... I will try how is going. Anyway Motion is still 5 and not 5.0.3 ... Lion is ok 10.7.3 Can you please tell me what's the use of a second monitor please ?
  • BenB
    Update to Motion 5.0.3 right away, it may offer some stability. With two monitors you can gain more viewing area when working in many application such as Motion. Look in the Window display, you have two options, one to show the Canvas and one to show the Timeline in the second display, IF you had one hooked up.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: