macProVideo.com
Forums
  • sbonsell
    Spinning
    Hi. I'm trying to spin a logo in 3D so that it begins really fast, then slows over a period of time (say three seconds) until it stops. I'm trying separate spin behaviours and trying to blend them by gradually lowering the degrees each time until it's smooth, but guess what - it isn't smooth! The two options in inspector seem strange - 'constant' or 'ramp up' (whatever that means) and I would expect to see a sort of 'degrees from' - 'degrees to' over 'time' option or similar. I can't believe that something like this couldn't be done very simply, but I'm just not sure where to go from here. Any help greatly appreciated. :)
  • sbonsell
    Re: Spinning
    Hmmm - just replying to my own thread - I worked it out. :D
  • Rounik Admin
    Glad you solved it... would you like to share your solution? Thanks :-)
  • BenB
    Keyframe Rotation Y (and/or X) at the start of the spin. Keyframe it again where it ends. Set the keyframes in the keyframe editor to be Bezier, then adjust the handles for each keyframe. [img]http://www.bbalser.com/images/KeyframeRamp.png[/img]
  • sbonsell
    Sorry Rounik - was I being inconsiderate? To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure 100% how I achieved it from the beginning! I sort of knew what to do as per the illustration above from Ben B, but that meant creating individual keyframes and it wasn't as smooth as I wanted. i ended up using the drawing tool to draw a rough curve in the keyframe editor, then moved points to smooth everything out - a bit hit and miss, really - or trial and error, depending on how you want to phrase it!
  • BenB
    So you simply smoothed out keyframes, which is exactly what I explained.
  • sbonsell
    not sure 'exactly' how you're phrasing your response Ben, but it seems as though I've trodden on someone's toes. I didn't actually read your response because, as you can see from above I had solved it before you answered. As for the response you gave you didn't explain [smoothing] out keyframes [i]'exactly'[/i] - in fact you didn't mention the word 'smooth' once. I think explaining that 'using a Bezier and adjusting the handles would smooth it out' would have been a more 'exact' response wouldn't it?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi sbonsell, No probs at all!! My toes are not feeling at all trodden on... and I certainly wasn't implying you were being inconsiderate either ;-) I was curious as to how you were able to solve the issue... and I mentioned sharing the solution simply because someone on the net in the future is bound to search for this topic... and will come across this forum thread. Always nice when that happens for a solution to be available :) best R Thanks for your feedback and
  • BenB
    I didn't go into too much detail as I figured from your post you knew what the purpose of handles was, to smooth. And from your response, you do. Was just speaking to your level of ability, keeping it brief, sharing info, not meaning anything else. Personally, in my work, I avoid the keyframe pencil tool for "smoothing" as it can create more keyframes than necessary, which can make smoothing of movements often more difficult, and bog down Motion's playback ability. But use what works for you.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: