macProVideo.com
Forums
  • sbonsell
    OFFSETTING an object from an axis.
    Hi, I'd like to know if anyone has any experience of spinning an object in a way similar to how a wheel might spin wherein ten objects (images) spin around the outside of what might be described as an 'axle'. I imagine it as being able to 'offset' the axis from the object, but I don't know how to do that. The effect I'm trying to create is of a 'one armed bandit' gambling machine where images spin past then slow and stop one at a time, if that helps, and this is the only way I can think to do it.
  • BenB
    Re: OFFSETTING an object from an axis.
    First, you'll use a replicator to create the rounded band of images. This is a bit more complex than I can explain in a forum post. But I have a tutorial I can point you to about it. Second you'll simply use keyframes to set the spinning. You'll make them Bezier keyframes and use the handles in the keyframe editor to adjust how the image bands slow down and stop.
  • sbonsell
    If you could point me to the tutorial that would be great.
  • BenB
    This should help make the round-ish strips of icons for each spinning window. [url]http://www.filmmakingwebinars.com/5-step-tutorials/creating-a-3d-panorama-in-apple-motion/[/url]
  • sbonsell
    Downloaded the tutorial - I'll give it a whirl. :)
  • sbonsell
    Hi Ben. Great tutorial. I didn't use your assets, but with my own images everything worked as I wanted it to EXCEPT for one MAJOR thing that I just don't understand - at the end I was expecting to be able to animate the replicator; rotate it like a one armed bandit; fast, with gradual deceleration until the replicator stops on an image. But when I 'play', the replicator spins all on its own at a fast, constant speed. I haven't added any keyframes for the camera or the replicator, and I can't see what's causing it to spin... I'm pretty sure I've done everything in your tutorial and only that, except for rotating the camera at the end because I want the replicator to spin, not the camera. Any ideas? I have a low-res video to send if that will help, though I can't see a way of attaching it, only image. Thanks.
  • BenB
    Replicators won't animate on their own. Contact me via my web site, and email me a copy of the Motion project itself, and a like to the video. www dot bbalser dot com.
  • sbonsell
    Turns out I had 'Play frames' ticked. So many boxes to check and uncheck ..... !
  • BenB
    It's not that many, just looks that way when you're unfamiliar. The more you become familiar with Motion, the more you realize how really easy it is. Glad I could be of help!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: