macProVideo.com
Forums
  • silly_lashes
    Motion
    I can't seem to find a tutorial on how to have something like "fire" (particle emitters) follow the stroke as a signature is being written? I have gone into Particle emitters_ Pyro_Paint Stroke Tool and make a signature with the record button but I have only done this through bumping and feeling my way through. If someone can walk me through step by step I would really appreciate it. I need this for a project in FCPX ASAP and I am brand new in Motion 5. Thank you!
  • BenB
    Re: Motion
    That's something you'll need to experiment with. But off the top of my head: Draw your shape (as text or whatever). Add in your Particle Emitter (I'm using the Pyro > Flame Line). In the Emitter, change "Shape" to "Geometry". Drag and drop your shape layer into the "Shape Source" well of the Emitter. Turn off the visibility of your original shape. The tricky part is getting it to "Write On". I see that behavior applied to the shape doesn't effect the Emitter. I'll have to think about this one. BTW, what specific library emitter are you using from the Pyro collection, yourself?
  • silly_lashes
    I wish I can answer your question so that you can help me better. Like I said, I am brand spankin' new to the program- all I remember is flying over to another island for FCPx/Motion5 training and this trainer at Apple being so awesome that they referred to him as "Budda" (Scott)- He demo'd this and it actually is what I need for my project. I will go back and look at my notes from that session to see if I can add anything to spark something for you that might help you, assist me...Thank you very much for answering and for working on this for me.
  • silly_lashes
    I looked at my scribbles from one of my training sessions and it doesn't really help me out right now- It basically was just telling me how to find pyro- Then I found- Behaviors_Write_Library_content_flourish_drawings which could be when he was showing animation. When you asked a question earlier, were you just asking me which choice I was using out of the pyro choices? If so, it was the same as you- fire line- I just couldn't get it to follow the script?
  • BenB
    OK, with the help of two other Motion users, here's what I've found. There are a couple of ways to do it. They are sort of involved, more than I can write out in a forum post, but will put these into my blog. I'll post the link later today. But it works really well. Thanks for coming to mPV to ask about this. Check back in a couple of hours.
  • silly_lashes
    Thank you for going out of your way to get this answered for me. I really appreciate this. You are my first forum posting- so I'm glad I am having a good experience. Where do I check into your blog- I only found your write up?
  • BenB
    Here is the link. [url]http://www.fcproxuniversity.com/FCPro_X_University/Extra_Credit/Entries/2013/3/8_Flaming_Lines_In_Motion.html[/url]
  • silly_lashes
    I really appreciate all this hard work you and your peers have put into my question. I hate to even ask...please don't hate me (but I'd understand if you write me out of your will) is there anyway that you can show that same thing using the paint stroke tool? I need someone to cursive write their name and have the fire follow it. When I was shown this "demo" by Scott Yoshino who teaches the FCP and Motion at Apple in Kahala, Oahu, Hawaii (maybe you can contact him) he scribbled his name on the screen and then the fire followed in a smooth fashion. I feel bad after all you hard work to even mention noticing seeing the little choppy "breaks" in the fire line. It's not that I don't appreciate what you did at all... unfortunately I see you worked way too hard when I know it was only a few clicks. I am so sorry to put you through all of this. Is there any way that the Apple guys will respond to you? Scott gives his email and I have tried to get a response but haven't heard back. I thought maybe you being who you are might have better luck?
  • BenB
    It is not that hard to do at all. And this is my job. And no, I don't have the contact information, nor do I know all of the other Apple cert'd trainers across the world. You can have them write with a paint stroke, and use that as the Geometry, just like I showed. But I am going to do a part 2 in a few days that shows how to do this as the source of a paint stroke. It is not as realistic looking, but yes, it will be posted in a few days. In my example, I have the fire broken up for realism. You could easily adjust it to fill the gaps and make it a much hotter, more dense fire.
  • silly_lashes
    Again, Thank you!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: