macProVideo.com
Forums
  • silly_lashes
    Re: Motion
    Hey Ben, I actually just got a response back from the Apple guru guy at Apple and wanted to share with you what he said... and also even when I try to follow this later, I still may need this broken down, I'm not sure till I get the program open in front of me. I'm sure this will be cake for you though- Hey Jenn! You got the Pen Stroke Tool (P) correct! :) 1. The first *trick* is to open either the HUD or the Inspector BEFORE you begin writing. In either the HUD or the Inspector>Behaviors, make sure Write On is checked. 2. The second *trick* is after you have written the signature is go ONLY to the Inspector to make changes. Making changes in the HUD will no longer affect anything already written. Make any changes to the look of your stroke under Inspector>Shape>Style. Whereas by look I mean the thickness, what colors, roundness, etc. 3. To manage the life of the stroke, or in other words to keep the stroke on the screen from going away, brings us to the third *trick* which is go to Inspector>Shape>Advanced and make sure Dynamics is turned ON. There, you can adjust the life. And you will want to do that because otherwise lightstrokes like to go away after a brief moment--which is NOT what you want. Hope that helps!
  • silly_lashes
    Ok Ben- I give...I guess I need hand holding from the beginning because Scott seems to think I know what I'm doing and I'm taking up way too much time with this now- Is there anyway that I helped you out with giving you the cheat sheet with this and now you can hold my hand from start to finish with this little project of mine? Please?
  • BenB
    If you want to email me, find my email on my web site (bbalser dot com), and send me the Motion project you have already. Right-click on it in the Finder, from that pop-up menu select Compress file. Send me that .zip file.
  • silly_lashes
    I've got bad news...for me.. Last night I found out my project in FCPX is gone!!!! This is like the 8th time this has happened to me! (sigh) I copied the event and the partial project and then within FCP I moved the copy to an EHD. After reassuring my self 5x that it was in fact there...I removed it from my computer because it was taking up all my HD space. Now it shows up in the events on the EHD but not put together as a project. What I don't get, it that even time machine failed me!!!! SO Ben, I would love to send my "Project" to you- but it has to be re-created first...AGAIN! (IF I DON'T JUMP OFF A CLIFF FIRST)-I wish I knew what I was doing wrong?
  • BenB
    Re: Re: Motion
    Did you copy the Project, also? An Event and a Project are two different things. When moving things to other drives, do it inside of FCP X itself. Drag your Event to the ext drive, then drag your Project to the ext drive. OR, in the Project Library, right-click the Project, select Duplicate. Target to duplicate to the ext drive, and select the option to also copy all referenced Events along with it. It sounds like you copied the Event, but did not copy the Project. My FCP X Media Management course here covers all of that and much more. I'd also highly recommend doing the Motion 5 courses here on mPV. Get a much more solid foundation in Motion will save you lots of headaches down the road.
  • silly_lashes
    Yes Ben- actually, I did what you are talking about- as I stated in my previous posting (maybe not as clearly as you stated) but i duplicated my project by right clicking it and all the referenced events along with it in addition to already manually selecting the entire event and dragging it to a copied folder in the external folder as well. For whatever reason, my partially completed project is nowhere! Only the pieces to rebuild it again. Even time machine failed me. That is why I am waiting for Apple to call me in 4 minutes to figure out why. But I will check out your course - thank you- although- I still would like it if you can look at what Scott wrote and I'm sure it would make sense to you- You can just start with a blank screen like he did- sign your name- like he did and make the fire follow- it's really what I am going to do in my project and lay it over a video clip. If you could please just tell me step one click on---blank step two- and get me to where he is talking about I would really appreciate it. I kind of need that now anyway- because if Apple can't find my project I will have to start over tonight anyway. Thanks!
  • BenB
    OK, you seem to be doing two totally different processes at one time. I'm very confused as to how you're copying Events and Project. If you "Duplicate" a Project, and include all referenced events, that is the ONLY thing you have to do. And be sure the copy is finished! Use Command-9 to open the background process window be be sure the copy is complete. All projects and events an your system drive are inside the Movies folder, inside of the "Final Cut Events" and "Final Cut Projects" folders. On a non-system drive, they are at the root level. I've never seen the operation simply not duplicate anything, or delete anything. What version of FCP X are you running?
  • silly_lashes
    Apple found the problem yesterday and we were able to restore my project. I did everything as I was supposed to do...until I didn't! ha ha I was trying to be so organized and tidy that about a week ago I reorganized a few folders on my EHD- (where I wanted the project to live) and I moved my folders that said FCP projects FCP events "into" a folder called Video which of course FCP couldn't find. So it was that simple- hidden folders- once we pulled them out, everything came back intact of course- So again, I really was just asking you about looking at the exact message that I gave you from Scott which hopefully was an "aha" moment for you- and that you can just take me from there-
  • BenB
    Message from Scott? I've not seen enough details in your posts to give me a clue what he did. But I have a tutorial coming out soon. Check the part 1 I've already posted. [url]http://www.fcproxuniversity.com/FCPro_X_University/Extra_Credit/Entries/2013/3/8_Flaming_Lines_In_Motion.html[/url]
  • toto
    TL
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: