macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Mandy Vague
    Macbook Pro RAM config for motion 5
    Hi, I'm "new" to this forum but an "old" motion user. I used motion 3 a while back and bought version 5 at the start of this year, thanks for the great tutorials, just what I need to bring me up to date. My current macbook pro stats - 17-inch, Mid 2009, memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Nvidia Geforce 512Vram and 256gSSD. Wondering if its worth upgrading the RAM in this machine to 8G? Will that improve motion 5 's performance? I'm thinking of investing in a new MacBook Pro or Mac Pro but don't like the small screens on the laptops even if they are Hi-res, and reluctant to invest in a tower without thunderbolt with rumours of a new Mac Pro sometime this year.. Could someone please advise?? thanks in advance MV
  • BenB
    Re: Macbook Pro RAM config for motion 5
    More RAM will help some operations, but not everything across the board. A new MacBook Pro would be a major performance improvement, if you get it maxed out. Don't bother with a Mac Pro, not powerful enough. A professional level Mac to replace the current Mac Pros is not a rumor. Apple CEO Tim Cook said it publicly that something would replace it "later this year" (2013). Apple reiterated this with some folks during NAB Show 2013 this week, also. So, no rumor, it is fact, but no one knows what it will be or when. If you can hold out until "late" this year, I'd do that. Otherwise the newest iMac (maxed out) is really impressive.
  • Mandy Vague
    Thanks Ben, I'm working a lot with particle +light systems and continually have to solo layers to avoid spinning beach ball and lethargic HUD. I've tried reduced res and or quality but can't see the effects sufficiently. I've got Mac pro's at work with quadra grafix cards equipped with 2g Vram I can borrow, what i'm wondering is whether motion is using the processor cores for that kind of work or Graphics processor RAM but from your comments i guess its the cores>> I think I'll take the plunge and get some more RAM for my old laptop and wait until later this year for further investment.
  • BenB
    I do not think that Quadra GPU is OpenCL, it is CUDA. Motion need an OpenCL GPU. I doubt those Mac Pros are getting the full power with that GPU.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: