macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Nitygua
    WaveBurner pops
    I'm compiling several songs for a client using WB and I've taken some songs that were crossfaded into a single track and using the scissor tool turned them into separate tracks. That's no problem. The transition is seamless when playing in WB. I then go to Disc/Burn and make a CD. On two of the songs there is an ugly quite audible pop at the transition point. I've tried this a couple of times. One time I replaced the first two and slice them up again and they burned fine but the ones at the end had a pop. So I replaced the ones at the end and this time around both sets had a pop. I did Normalize the whole project. Could this have something to do with it? On another pair of crossfaded songs I've had no problem.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: WaveBurner pops
    Hi John, I've not had this experience with Waveburner producing clicks and pops. But, when cutting audio tracks it's really important to cut where the waveform crosses the 'zero' line. Otherwise you'll get the rice crispies effect :) Basically, I'd personally use Waveburner AFTER creating all the separate tracks in Logic (where you can use the 'search zero crossing' when cutting to make sure this doesn't occur). Normalizing ... well, that's a whole different ball game really. Basically, normalizing increases the levels of a track to (normally) 0dB. This might sound like a good idea, but in reality I feel it's much better to mix and master a track using Logic's plugins. Steve H talks about all this and more (in a coherent and informative manner!) in the Logic 401 - Logic's Mastering toolbox tutorial. So, basically, best to slice the audio file into different tracks in Logic, export them and then import into Waveburner. Hope that helps, Rounik
  • Nitygua
    Hi Rounik, Thanks for getting back to me. I think that because this project was crossfaded on another program, I'm dealing with an audio file that has no zero crossing. I used the snap to zero crossing in Logic and seemed to get no results. I then tried bouncing the two parts of the track, one ending at a fixed point in time and the other beginning at that same fixed point in time, and imported them into WB. I ended up with the same results. I'm also noticing that when I listen to these particular tracks, I'm getting a little click when I start playing it somewhere after the start point. Thanks for your help on this. I hope I'm being clear and that I've understood your points correctly. John
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi John, Just wanted to check the version of Logic, Waveburner and OSX you are using? You have to select 'Snap to Zero Crossings' then cut the region where desired and export/bounce the two regions as separate files. What bit depth and sample rate are : i) you exporting from Logic at ii) the original source audio files Out of interest, are you bouncing your project in WB before burning? What files type are the originals? If you want I'd be happy to test out your Waveburner project here on my system. Send me a message via 'Support' with my name in the title if you like. :) Rounik
  • Nitygua
    Hi Rounik, I'm using Logic 9 and the WaveBurner that came with it and Mac OS X 10.5.8. I've been bouncing in Logic with 24 Bit and Sample Rate of 44.1 The original source audio is 44.1 with Bit Rate of 192 kbps I have not been bouncing my project in WB before burning and the file types have been AIFF.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi John, Are the output files in Waveburner (when the CD is burnt) converted to 16bit (CD quality) with dithering enabled? Have you tried burning a CD without normalizing the audio files first? :) Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    Previous correspondence between Rounik & John Sherry off the forums: [i]Hey John, That's a shame.... But at least we know it's not a Logic/WB issue now. Strange that I burnt to disc using my MBP's Superdrive and it worked ok... Shall we continue this on the forums - for the benefit of anyone who has this issue in the future... ____________________________________ Rounik Sethi macProVideo.com On 30 Nov 2009, at 17:58, John Sherry wrote: Hey Rounik, I appreciate you taking the time to do this and getting to it right away. You made the split at the exact right spot and it sounds flawless in the transition in WB, however, when I burned a CD from it the same artifact returned, a little click right at the transition point. So, I think I must be doing something wrong in the burn process. I have tried burning at the 8x speed and still get the same result. I am really at a loss as to what to try next.[/i] --- Hi John, 1. I'd suggest burning at slower speeds: 2x and 4x. These are known to give more reliable results for audio apparently. 2. Also, have you considered trying different CD media? I use Verbatim only - cos' it just tends to work. 3. Is it possible to test this using a different CD burner? Sounds extreme, but I can't really imagine why it burns ok here but not on your system. 4. Also, if possible try burning a CD with only those two tracks... Does the issue persist? Best Rounik
  • Nitygua
    Hi Rounik, I've burned at the slowest possible speed on my Mac, which is 4x and I'm using the project file that you sent back to me, which only has the two songs. After trying the CD in iTunes, with the same results, I tried playing back the individual CD tracks in Quicktime and there is a small click at the end of track 1 and a small click at the beginning of track 2. I then pulled the tracks apart in the WB project and played the same parts and there weren't any clicks, just an abrupt ending and beginning. As I mentioned before, within the original project file there are a couple of other instances of two crossfaded tunes that I've split right in WB and they play seamlessly on the CD. I will pick up Verbatim and try again and let you know how that turns out.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi John, OK. Let me know how you get on... Just to clarify, you are definitely not getting any clicks in the WB project itself (i.e. before you burn it to CD)? Also, do you have Sound Enchancer and other settings ON in iTunes? Good luck! Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: